BSc (Biology), Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece (1997)
PhD (Applied Icthyology), University of Thessaly, Greece (2003)
BSc (Biology), Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece (1997)
Kostas Ganias serves as an Assistant Professor of Biological Oceanography at the School of Biology,Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. He also serves as a commissioner Associate Professor at the Department of Ichthyology and Aquatic Environment, University of Thessaly. He was as a post-doctorate research fellow at IPMA (Lisbon, Portugal) and a postgraduate fellow at the Institute of Marine Biology of Crete. He was visiting scholar at several universities (School of Biological Sciences, Aberdeen; USP, Sao Paulo) and research institutes (AZTI, S. Sebastian; IMR, Bergen, IPMA, Lisbon; IEO and CSIC Vigo).
He coordinated a number of post-doc research projects, and is currently supervising 2 PhD students and a number of undergraduate and post-graduate students. He has been invited keynote speaker for one international conference and for several international workshops. He is a member of the ICES/WGALES group andhe participated in two EU COST actions and in 15 national and international research projects (coordinated 2 of these projects). He is the coordinator of the Erasmus+ for placement action for the School of Biology.
His research interests involve fish reproductive life-history,fish biology and ecology, fish stock assessment and aquaculture. He is the editor of one book (Biology and Ecology of Sardines and Anchovies, CRC Press) and author of 34 papers in SCI journals (~60%of which as first author). He is the lead author of a handbook chapter on fish fecundity written by more than 20 international scientists. His h-index is 14 (WoS; Sep-2016)and he has reviewed more than 90 papers.
34. Ferreri, R., Ganias, K., Genovese S., Fontana I., Giacalone G., Bonanno A., Mazzola S., Aronica S., Mangano S., Basilone G. (in press). Oocyte batch development and enumeration in the European anchovy (Engraulis encrasicolus). Mediterranean Marine Science
33. Ganias, K., Mouchlianitis, F. A., Nunes, C., Costa, A. M., & Angélico, M. M. (2016). A reassessment of the fecundity type of Atlantic horse mackerel (Trachurus trachurus) in Atlantic Iberian waters (ICES division IXa) shows that indeterminate spawners can cease recruiting oocytes during their spawning season. ICES Journal of Marine Science: Journal du Conseil
32. Perdikaris C., Chrisafi A., Ganias K. (2016). Environmentally Friendly Practices and Perceptions in Aquaculture: A sectoral case-study from a Mediterranean-based industry. Reviews in Fisheries Science & Aquaculture 24(2): 113-125
31. Giovos I., Ganias K., Garagouni M., Gonzalvo J. (2016). Social Media in the Service of Conservation: a Case Study of Dolphins in the Hellenic Seas. Aquatic Mammals 42(1): 12-19
30. Ganias K., Rakka M., Mantzouki E., Vavalidis T., Tsinganis M., & Nunes C. (2015). Maternal versus environmental constraints on the oocyte size of a marine pelagophil fish. Marine Biology 162(9):1879–1888 DOI: 10.1007/s00227-015-2719-4
29. Gerovasiliou V., Ganias K., Dailianis T., Voultsiadou E. (2015). Occurrence of some rarely reported cryptic fish species in eastern Mediterranean marine caves. Cahiers de Biologie Marine 56(4)
28. Ganias, K., Divino, J. N., Gherard, K. E., Davis, J. P., Mouchlianitis, F., & Schultz, E. T. (2015). A Reappraisal of Reproduction in Anadromous Alewives: Determinate versus Indeterminate Fecundity, Batch Size, and Batch Number. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 144(6), 1143-1158.
27. Rakka M., Ganias K. (2015) Assessing species and stage specific effects of preservation on fish oocytes over different temporal scales. Mediterranean Marine Science 16 (3), 533-537.
26. Basilone, G., Ganias, K., Ferreri, R., D’Elia, M. Quinci, E., Mazzola, Bonanno, A. (2015). Application of GAMs and multinomial models to assess the spawning pattern of fishes with daily spawning synchronicity: a case study in the European anchovy (Engraulis encrasicolus) in the central Mediterranean Sea. Fisheries Research, 167, 92-100
25. Ganias K., Michou S., Nunes C. (2015). A field based study of swimbladder adjustment in a physostomous teleost fish. PEERJ 3: e892
24. Ganias K., Lowerre-Barbieri S., Cooper W. (2015). Understanding the determinate-indeterminate fecundity dichotomy in fish populations using a temperature dependent oocyte growth model. Journal of Sea Research, 96, 1-10
23. Giovos I, Ganias K., Skoufas G. (2015). Complementary distribution of two sympatric serranids in a NATURA 2000 site in Northern Aegean Sea (Eastern Mediterranean). Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, 95 (3), 593-598
22. Rousou M, Ganias K., Kletou D, Loucaides A, Tsinganis M (2014). Maturity of the pufferfish Lagocephalus sceleratus in the southeastern Mediterranean Sea. Sexuality and Early Development in Aquatic Organisms (πλέον Aquatic Biology), 1, 35-44
21. Ganias K. (2013). Determining the indeterminate: evolving concepts and methods on the assessment of the fecundity pattern of fishes. Fisheries Research, 138, 23-30
20. Ganias K. (2012). Thirty years of using the postovulatory follicles method: overview, problems and alternatives. Fisheries Research. 117–118: 63–74
19. Mc Pherson L.R., Ganias K., Marshall T. (2011). Inaccuracies in routinely collected Atlantic herring maturity data and correction using a gonadosomatic index model. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. 91(7), 1477–1487
18. Nunes C., Silva A., Marques V., Ganias K. (2011). Integrating fish size, condition, and population demography on the estimation of sardine annual fecundity. Ciencias Marinas. 37 (42): 565-584
17. Lowerre-Barbieri S., Ganias K., Murua H. , Saborido-Rey F., Hunter J. (2011). Reproductive timing in marine fishes: variability, temporal scales and methods. Marine and Coastal Fisheries, 3, 71-91
16. Nunes C., A. Silva, E. Soares, Ganias Κ. (2011). The use of hepatic and somatic indices and histological information to characterize the reproductive dynamics of the Iberian sardine. Marine and Coastal Fisheries, 3: 127-144 15. Ganias K., Nunes C, Vavalidis T, Rakka M., Stratoudakis Y. (2011). Estimating oocyte growth rate and its potential relationship with spawning frequency in teleosts with indeterminate fecundity. Marine and Coastal Fisheries, 3: 119-126
14. Ganias K., Nunes C. (2011). Bathymetric segregation of spawning stages for the Atlantic sardine, Sardina pilchardus. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 428: 235-244 13. Ganias K., Rakka M., Vavalidis T., Nunes C. (2010). Measuring batch fecundity in indeterminate spawners using automated particle counting. Fisheries Research. 106: 570-574
12. Ganias K. (2009).Linking sardine spawning dynamics to environmental variability. Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science, 84: 402-408
11. Ganias K. (2008). Ephemeral spawning aggregations in the Mediterranean sardine, Sardina pilchardus: a comparison with other multiple-spawning clupeoids. Marine Biology, 155:293-301
10. Ganias K., Nunes C., Stratoudakis Y. (2008). Use of late ovarian atresia in describing spawning history of sardine, Sardina pilchardus. Journal οf Sea Research, 60:244-249
9. Ganias K., Nunes C., Stratoudakis Y. (2007). Degeneration of sardine (Sardina pilchardus) postovulatory follicles: structural changes and factors affecting resorption. Fishery Bulletin, 105:131–139
8. Ganias K., Somarakis S., Koutsikopoulos C., and Machias A. (2007). Factors affecting the spawning period of sardine in two highly oligotrophic Seas. Marine Biology, 151:1559–1569
7. Stratoudakis Y., Bernal M., Ganias K., Uriarte A. (2006). The Daily Egg Production Method (DEPM): recent advances, current applications and future challenges. Fish and Fisheries, 7: 35-57
6. Somarakis S., Ganias K., Koutsikopoulos C., Siapatis A., Machias A., Papaconstantinou C. (2006). Spawning habitat and daily egg production of sardine in the eastern Mediterranean. Fisheries Oceanography, 15 (4): 281-292
5. Somarakis S., Ganias K., Koutsikopoulos C., Tserpes G. (2004). Ovarian allometry and the use of the gonosomatic index: a case study in the Mediterranean sardine, Sardina pilchardus. Marine Biology, 146: 181-189
4. Ganias K., Somarakis S., Machias A., Koutsikopoulos C., Theodorou A. (2004). Identifying newly spawned female sardines by means of common fisheries data. Cybium, 28 (1): 43-46
3. Ganias K., Somarakis S., Machias A., Theodorou A. (2004). Pattern of oocyte development and batch fecundity in the Mediterranean sardine. Fisheries Research, 67: 13-23
2. Ganias K., Somarakis S., Machias A., Koutsikopoulos C., Theodorou A. (2003). Ovarian atresia in the Mediterranean sardine, Sardina pilchardus sardina. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, 83: 1327-1332
1. Ganias K., Somarakis S., Machias A., Theodorou A. (2003). Evaluation of spawning frequency in a Mediterranean sardine population (Sardina pilchardus sardina). Marine Biology, 142: 1169-1179